I'm not one for wasting time. Having to rummage through a huge purse isn't my style. I carry a small purse. I used to carry a small 'suitcase' so I know the lure of a big purse. There is something cool about being able to whip out whatever item someone needs. Over time those big bags were hurting my back and I went cold turkey. I feel really free now and on those days I have other items to carry like my lunch or something for a client, I pull out one of my fun totes. I like things that serve me and make me smile.
I do understand, however, that some of you need a large purse and I'm here to help you make it work for you by giving you some tips to keep the items you are carrying contained for easy retrieval. These tips will get you started. I deal with purses at length in One Year to an Organized Life. By the way I don't like those inserts you buy and then plop into your bag. You're adding weight and bulk.
1. Take everything out and toss as much as you can. Movie stubs, those flyers you picked up while shopping, gum wrappers ... you get the idea. Toss the debris.
2. If you have items like receipts for income tax, file those before they get lost or eaten by the dog (yes, my Charlie has done that!).
3. Put items you realize you no longer need to schlepp with you into their designated spot in the home. For example, you don't need a small flashlight because your phone has one. You don't need all of your make up just a little powder and lipstick to keep your face looking morning fresh. Whittle down what your have been carrying and, if it's difficult, ask yourself: "When was the last time this came in handy?" If it's longer than a day or worse you have no clue, it can now stay home.
4. Put all the items you must have with you into categories.
5. Now find a way to keep your individual categories contained in your purse so you grab just the bag you need when an item is called into duty.
The images I share are from The Container Store. You'll find zippered pouches all over town in places like CVS or beauty supply stores. I bet you even have some hidden away in a dresser, don't you? Now you can press them into service! If you designate a color or size for a category, you can fish around in the dark and come up a winner!
You can see how versatile pouches are in terms of size, color and how you use them. Pop them into school bags, suitcases, gym bags et al. There's no limit!